How to write a resume that stands out
Your resume is often the first impression you make on a potential employer, so it’s important to make it count. Here are some tips on how to write a resume that stands out from the competition:
- Tailor your resume to the job you’re applying for. Take the time to read the job description carefully and highlight the skills and experience that are most relevant to the position. You can also use keywords from the job description throughout your resume.
- Quantify your accomplishments. Whenever possible, use numbers and metrics to demonstrate your accomplishments. For example, instead of saying “increased sales,” say “increased sales by 15%.”
- Use strong action verbs. When describing your work experience, use strong action verbs to show what you accomplished. For example, instead of saying “responsible for managing a team of 10 people,” say “managed a team of 10 people and increased productivity by 20%.”
- Be concise and to the point. Hiring managers are busy people, so they don’t have time to read long, rambling resumes. Get to the point quickly and highlight your most important qualifications.
- Proofread carefully. Typos and grammatical errors can make you look unprofessional, so be sure to proofread your resume carefully before submitting it.
Here are some additional tips to make your resume stand out:
- Use a professional design. Your resume should be well-organized and easy to read. Use a professional font and avoid using too much color or formatting.
- Include a professional summary. At the top of your resume, include a brief summary of your skills and experience. This will give hiring managers a quick overview of what you have to offer.
- Highlight your most relevant skills and experience. List your skills and experience in a way that is easy to scan. Use keywords and phrases that are relevant to the jobs you’re applying for.
- Use endorsements and testimonials. If you have any endorsements or testimonials from previous employers or clients, include them on your resume. This can help to add credibility and social proof to your resume.
- Create a strong online presence. In addition to your resume, make sure you have a strong online presence. This includes having a professional LinkedIn profile and website. You can also use social media to share your work and connect with potential employers.
By following these tips, you can write a resume that will stand out from the competition and help you land your dream job.