Healthiest Foods for your body. (By Cameroonians)Poetic Orator | 26.01.2021 | 0 | Health
Hello guys and welcome again to our health section. Healthiest Foods for your body. (By Cameroonians)
So this week I visited two market places and had the opportunity to ask thirty Cameroonians to list the healthiest foods they know and give reasons why they think those particular foods are healthy. The list was extensive, so I decided to list the five most reoccurring foods and some of the reasons these people gave. I took a step further to research on the scientific health benefits of these foods.
So below are the five healthiest foods by Cameroonians and their scientific backings.
Milk has been consumed for millennia, almost since the dawn of man. It is a nutrient-filled liquid produced by the mammary glands of mammals basically to feed their young.
This was so reoccurrence I almost thought people had some kind of telepathic abilities. It was almost everyone’s number one and for good reasons ;
- Helps babies grow.
- Makes bones stronger.
- Help sick people get better.
- Can be used to make a variety of different foods.
- It is affordable.
Those were just some of the reasons given by people to show the usefulness and benefits of milk. But what does science really say concerning the health benefits of milk?
The nutritional profile of milk is impressive.
After all, it’s designed to fully nourish newborn animals.
Just one cup (244 grams) of whole cow’s milk contains:
- Calories: 146
- Protein: 8 grams
- Fat: 8 grams
- Calcium: 28% of the RDA (recommended dietary allowance)
- Vitamin D: 24% of the RDA
- Riboflavin (B2): 26% of the RDA
- Vitamin B12: 18% of the RDA
- Potassium: 10% of the RDA
- Phosphorus: 22% of the RDA
- Selenium: 13% of the RDA
There’s also a host of other essential nutrients like omega 3 fatty acids.
Milk is also a good source of vitamin A, magnesium, zinc, and thiamine (B1).
Additionally, it’s an excellent source of protein and contains hundreds of different fatty acids, including conjugated linoleic acid (CLA).
Generally, milk is amongst the healthiest foods known to mankind, but in nutrition circles, it is a highly debated topic if at all humans should consume milk. With all its health benefits, milk is very intolerable to most people.
An aromatic vegetable, commonly used as food spices in Cameroon. This was also very common amongst the mentions. Many people said they think it’s healthy because;
- They heard it’s healthy.
- The doctor told them to consume it.
- They heard it aids in weight loss.
- They know all spices are healthy.
Well according to scientist and nutrition experts, these are some of the health benefits of celery ;
- Celery reduces inflammation.
- Celery has a host of antioxidants.
- Celery aids indigestion.
- Celery has an alkalinizing effect, that is, it helps neutralize acidic foods.
- Also, celery can lead to negative calorie consumption, which means celery uses more calories to digest than it gives. This is particularly good for weight watchers. So on your next meal why not add some celery, or blend it raw into a juice or even add a stick of celery to your homemade cocktail and enjoy all the wonderful benefits this plant has to offer.
Cabbage is a staple in most cultures worldwide. Very common and easy to obtain. Well Cameroonians said it’s healthy because ;
- They get you filled.
- They’re delicious.
- They can be eaten with a wide array of other foods as complements.
- They’re known to improve weight loss.
- They’re known to contain a lot of vitamins and minerals.
- They’re cheap and also easy to cook.
Scientists agree with the people, cabbages have a long list of benefits to the overall human health and also to special organs like the heart.
What science says ;
- Cabbages are filled with nutrients
Although cabbage is very low in calories, it has an impressive nutrient profile.
In fact, just 1 cup (89 grams) of raw green cabbage contains:
Protein: 1 gram
Fiber: 2 grams
Vitamin K: 85% of the RDA
Vitamin C: 54% of the RDA
Folate: 10% of the RDA
Manganese: 7% of the RDA
Vitamin B6: 6% of the RDA
Calcium: 4% of the RDA
Potassium: 4% of the RDA
Magnesium: 3% of the RDA
Cabbage also contains small amounts of other micronutrients, including vitamin A, iron, and Riboflavin.
- Helps with inflammations.
- Aids indigestion
- May help keep your heart healthy.
- Has an abundance of vitamin c.
- Very easy to add to your diet.
- Help lower your cholesterol.
- Helps indigestion.
- Good source of vitamin k.
So what are you waiting for? Start adding this nutritious vegetable to your everyday diet to rip this unending list of health benefits.
Potatoes were next in line on the list of healthy foods. Cameroonians have been eaten potatoes since time immemorial. They boiled, eaten raw, fried, baked, porridge, and even pounded. The most common reasons people gave for potatoes are ;
- They get you very filled.
- They keep your energy up.
- And they can be eaten with almost all kinds of compliments, soups, and sauces.
On scientific review, potatoes are quite the king of foods for the following reasons ;
Potatoes are an excellent source of many vitamins and minerals.
One medium baked potato (6.1 ounces or 173 grams), including the skin, provides:
- Calories: 161
- Fat: 0.2 grams
- Protein: 4.3 grams
- Carbs: 36.6 grams
- Fiber: 3.8 grams
- Vitamin C: 28% of the RDA
- Vitamin B6: 27% of the RDA
- Potassium: 26% of the RDA
- Manganese: 19% of the RDA
- Magnesium: 12% of the RDA
- Phosphorus: 12% of the RDA
- Niacin: 12% of the RDA
- Folate: 12% of the RDA
The dietary content of potatoes is highly affected by how they’re cooked and the species of the potatoes.
- They may improve blood sugar control.
- They contain antioxidants.
- Potatoes may improve digestion.
It is advisable to note frying potatoes (French fries) drastically increases their calorie content and increases cholesterol too, especially if fried with excess oil. So chose from any other alternative preparation methods for healthier consumption of this food.
Finally our last but not the least is one of the most popular foods in the whole world. Grown mostly in the marshlands of Asia, they’re the world’s staple. It is the main piece of hundreds of dishes and a side in even more menus. It has an assortment of recipes and an abundance of compliments. Eaten by almost all eight billion people in the world and for good reasons ;
- Always available, so they reduce the risk of starvation.
- Very delicious.
- Has high energy input into the body.
These were just some benefits given by Cameroonians on rice. But let’s look at the health benefits of rice below ;
- They’re a great source of energy.
- Controls the occurrence of some disease, e.g Alzheimer’s.
- Rice has high nutrition content.
- Good for heart health, since they have almost zero saturated fat and cholesterol.
- White rice is enriched with folate.
- It aids in constipation.
- Rice is very easy to digest.
- Rice helps in cancer prevention.
- Also, it may help regulate blood sugar levels, especially for people with low blood sugar.
Although rice is very nutritious, opt for brown rice. This is healthier and less processed and generally has more benefits than white rice.
So above are the health benefits of the healthiest foods listed by some Cameroonians. What do you think? Do you eat these foods? Are they healthy? Comment to us your thoughts. Meanwhile, keep eating healthy and stay healthy.